Search This Blog

Sunday, December 22, 2013

CHRISTMAS ON THE LOWER EAST SIDE

As witnessed early this afternoon at the intersection of 14th Street and 1st Avenue in Manhattan: As I prepared to cross the street, I saw a wobbly, drunk-looking Santa Claus staggering between corners and was initially filled with a sense of sad revulsion. That is, until I saw him notice an elderly lady struggling to cross the street, at which he sincerely asked her, "Do you need some help, honey?" He turned from his own crossing and returned the way he came, 100% intent on helping the old lady cross the street and keeping her safe. There was no way I wasn't going to capture that faith-in-humanity-restoring moment with a photograph. Once she was safely across the street, I couldn't help yelling, "HEY, SANTA! YOU'RE ALRIGHT!!!" He smiled, waved, and continued on his wobbly way.

No comments: